I always tell my clients to drink a ton of water after their massages! Some ask why it's so important; others just nod and go about their business. You've all heard it before and now here's why. During a massage toxins are released from tight muscles and adhesions that are being manipulated by the therapist. These are the toxins that irritate the nerves and cause pain.
After the muscles have been worked on, the toxins then are taken up by the lymphatic and circulatory systems to be filtered out and removed from the body. This is accomplished by staying hydrated, drinking at least 8, 8oz glasses of water, daily. Not only is it important to drink water post-massage, but also to prior to receiving a massage. Think of it as priming the pump. If you do not hydrate properly, the toxins will settle and create soreness.